Thanks to Gluten Free & More (https://www.glutenfreeandmore.com/recipes/Morning-Cinnamon-Biscuits-3629-1.html ) for this amazing Morning Cinnamon Roll Allergy Friendly Recipe!
⅔ cup brown rice flour
⅔ cup sorghum flour
⅓ cup arrowroot starch
⅓ cup potato starch (not potato flour)
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons sugar
½ teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons organic non-hydrogenated shortening, chilled
1 cup buttermilk of choice (I use 1 cup of rice milk mixed with 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar as my substitute)
4 tablespoons butter (try Earth Balance Soy Free) or coconut oil, melted, divided
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup powdered sugar (for corn free options try out Trader Joe's or Simply Organic from Kroger)
1 tablespoon milk (I used rice milk as a substitute) of choice
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together brown rice flour, sorghum flour, arrowroot starch, potato starch, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt.
3. With a pastry blender, fork or your hands, cut shortening into dry ingredients until mixture becomes a coarse meal.
4. Stir in buttermilk with a wooden spoon until just barely combined.
5. Dump dough onto a counter lined with waxed paper and gently work it into a ball with lightly floured hands. (Dough will be slightly sticky.) Gently press dough into a 9x12-inch rectangle.
6. To make cinnamon filling, combine 2 tablespoons melted butter with brown sugar, granulated sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl to form a wet sand-like mixture.
7. Brush dough with remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter. Top with cinnamon filling.
8. Starting at the longer side, gently roll up dough, using the waxed paper to guide your rolling. Act as if you are rolling the dough in the waxed paper except right before you begin the next roll-over, gently remove the waxed paper. Keep repeating until dough is completely rolled.
9. Slice into 8 pieces. Carefully place each biscuit, cut side down, on prepared baking sheet.
10. Place in preheated oven and bake 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
11. To make glaze, combine powdered sugar, milk of choice and vanilla to make a thick paste. (If glaze is too runny, add more powdered sugar. If it’s too thick, add more milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached.)
12. Remove biscuits from oven. Allow to cool 5 minutes before drizzling with glaze.